Getting started in computational biology
Academic presentations can be uploaded in their original slide format. Presentations are usually represented as slide decks. Videos of presentations can be uploaded as media.
These are slides based on a lecture I gave in the course CMSE 491: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology taught in Spring 2018 at Michigan State University on Monday, January 2. This presentation covers the following topics and is meant to be a "getting started" guide to computational biology research.
- Reading papers | Learning to frame a problem
- Choosing a good problem
- Data types and repositories
- Programming languages & software ecosystems
- Organizing a computational biology project
- Managing data and code
- High-performance computing at MSU
- Getting help