Output files corresponding to "Direct groundwater discharge and vulnerability to hidden nutrient loads along the Great Lakes coast of the United States"
This dataset corresponds to the output files that were produced for the study reported in:
Knights, Deon, Kevin C. Parks, Audrey H. Sawyer, Cédric H. David, Trevor N. Browning, Kelsey M. Danner, and Corey D. Wallace, (2017), Direct groundwater discharge and vulnerability to hidden nutrient loads along the Great Lakes coast of the United States, Journal of Hydrology, 554, 331-341
The following sources were used to produce files in this dataset:
- The National Hydrography Dataset Plus (NHDPlus) Version 2, obtained from http://www.horizon-systems.com/nhdplus/NHDplusV2_data.php. Region used is: Great Lakes (04)
- The second phase of the North American Land Data Assimilation System (NLDAS2), obtained from ftp://hydro1.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/s4pa/NLDAS. Model outputs used are: NLDAS_MOS0125_MC.002, NLDAS_NOAH0125_MC.002, and NLDAS_VIC0125_MC.002.
- The United States 2011 National Land Cover Database (NLCD 2011), obtained from: http://www.mrlc.gov/nlcd2011.php.
Description of files
The files in this dataset contain are described below:
- Flowlines: This folder contains a shapefile (GL_coastcatchment_NHDflowline) with the coastline of the Contiguous United States as described by NHDPlus V2, and was merged from a subsample of all river reaches available in the region used.
- Catchment: This folder contains a shapefile (GL_coastcatchment_polygon) with the contributing catchments of NHDPlus V2 corresponding to the above coastline, and was merged from a subsample of all catchments available in the region used.
- Centroid: This folder contains a shapefile (GL_coastcatchment_centroid) with the centroids of the above catchments.
- DischargeVulnerabilities.csv. This .csv file contains the following data (units are in parentheses):
- COMID: Unique feature identifier in NHDPlusV2 ().
- Length_km: Length of coastline feature (km).
- Area_sqkm: Area of coastal catchment feature (km2).
- Infiltration_kgsqm: Average annual infiltrating runoff for REACHCODE (kg/m2)
- REACHCODE: Reach identifier in NHDPlusV2; reaches can include multiple features; Submarine Groundwater Discharge (SGD) is computed by reach, not feature ().
- RLength_km: Total length of coastline accumulated by REACHCODE (km).
- RArea_sqkm: Total area of coastal catchment accumulated by REACHCODE (km2).
- RInfiltration_kgsqm: Average annual infiltrating runoff for REACHCODE (kg/m2)
- DGWD: Average annual direct groundwater discharge for REACHCODE (m2/y).
- Vulnerable_percent: Percentage of reach area with developed or agricultural land use in 2011 (%).
- Vulnerable: Vulnerability to coastal contamination (0- not vulnerable; 1-vulnerable)