Cave Hyena Osteometrical Datasets
Datasets usually provide raw data for analysis. This raw data often comes in spreadsheet form, but can be any collection of data, on which analysis can be performed.
These datasets provide osteometrical measurements for dental and postcranial remains in cave hyenas from european sites.
All the specimens have been described and measured (in millimeters) by the author. They are stored and curated in various institutions (i.e., Museum, see below).
Each file is named according to the following pattern:
- First part: abreviation of considered species (i.e., Ccs = Crocuta crocuta spelaea);
- Second part: anatomical part codification:
- U: Upper / L: Lower
- C: Canine / P: Premolar / M: Molar
- 1 to 4: tooth rank
- chrono: Chronology (i.e., Middle or Late Pleistocene);
- MIS: Marine Isotopic Stage (if applicable);
- species: specific (or sub-specific) identification (i.e., Crocuta crocuta spelaea);
- country: Site location (i.e., France);
- site: Site name;
- label: Specimen label such as archaeological number or museum inventory number;
- side: Specimen laterality, it could be left (sin) or right (dext);
- B: Breadth (in mm);
- L: Breadth (in mm);
- L_para: Paraconid (for the lower carnassial m1) or Paracone (for the upper carnassial P4) length (in mm);
- L_proto: Protoconid length (in mm), applicable only for the lower carnassial m1;
- L_trig: Trigonid length (in mm), applicable only for the lower carnassial m1;
- B_meta: Metacone breadth (in mm), applicable only for the upper carnassial P4;
- L_meta: Metacone length (in mm), applicable only for the upper carnassial P4;
- location: Curation place.